The Detention Center Command Staff is responsible for directing the operation of the Halifax County Detention Center including the supervision of the detention staff, overseeing inmate care, and adhering to department policies and procedures to ensure the security, safety, and well-being of employees and inmates.
- Oversee the day to day, efficient operation of the Halifax County Detention Center in accordance with appropriate laws and regulations. This includes housing, feeding, clothing, medical care, recreation, and safety of the inmates.
- Supervise a staff of 32 plus employees.
- Responsible for the oversight of inmates.
- Assist with the preparation and administration of a budget for Detention operations.
- Prepare and recommend policies and procedures to assure that a high level of security is maintained in order to protect inmates, jail personnel, and the public.
- Conduct physical inspections of the jail as needed, in order to maintain the security of cell blocks, including assuring that locks, windows, doors, etc. are in proper working order.
- Communicate with the Chief Deputy, Sheriff, departmental personnel, inmates, and the public to provide information and establish good relations with the public.